Monday, March 15, 2010

They don't make 'em like they used to

I wish all Mondays could be like this.

We had just the second snow day of the school year today, and although we did have to be in school this morning, it's rather nice to start the week without having to teach. I say 'snow day' but it was more accurately a 'wind day' because there was no new snow but very high winds; gusts reached 120 km/h and I saw at least three witches blow past my classroom window before I came home at lunchtime. No cows though.

In other news, our food cargo finally arrived! We picked the boxes up from the airport on Saturday and to our great surprise all the contents remained intact. As a result I now have a wonderfully stocked fridge and larder, and the challenge ahead of me is to eat everything before I head back south in May. Melanie will be able to help me until she leaves on Friday, but then it's all down to me. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.



We also enjoyed two rather nice breakfasts at the Residence, courtesy of Roland, over the weekend and after the first (on Saturday), we went for a walk around town, stopping at the Northern store en route to pick up some chocolate to fuel our perambulation. We chose a couple of After Eight bars, deeming them to be of a suitable post-breakfast nature, but we didn't check the date on the wrapper (you know what's coming next, don't you?).

The weather closed in during our walk and we didn't get round to eating them, but we decided instead that they would accompany our coffee upon our return home. Fortunately, we did remember to look at the wrappers before we opened them, and it was a good job too.

October 14 2006.

And they weren't even on sale. In fact, they've been in the North longer than I have, and one wonders just how long they would have remained on the shelf had we not picked them up. There's a bunch more in the store, and when the wind dies down I shall venture forth and exchange our antique chocolate for something manufactured in this decade. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to start work on the fridge...

2 comments:

Unknown

Sunny and +16c today! All those that went south to Florida for March break must be cursing... Joelle and I just sat on the deck int-shirts reading our books!

Tell Mel to leave the snow up there when she comes back on Friday...this is the earliest spring I remember. Didn't you have a snow storm on your drive up from T.O. one Easter when you stayed with us?

Speaking of T.O. we are heading to the 'big smoke' on Friday to see the King Tut exhibit at the AGO- are'nt we adventurous :)

dave

Man, you gotta be careful with those expiration dates...

Though, on a darker note, I think I might have the same expiration date as your chocolate. Someone should have put me on sale a long time ago!

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008