Wednesday, May 5, 2010

So long, and thanks for all the fish

And so it ends.

It was 1294 days ago that I first set foot in Nunavik and now it's the last day. As I leave, there are no awards, no fanfares, no hour long special featuring your favourite moments from all the previous seasons, as well as some never-before-seen outtakes and behind the scenes footage. Instead, I'm now just the man in the suitcase, sitting eating a last bowl of cheerios whilst surrounded by all my boxes (20 of them), waiting for the van to come to take me to the airport.

It's an ordinary end to what's been an extraordinary journey.

If you'd told me five years ago, when we were still back in the UK, that I would spend four years - three of them on my own - in an isolated Inuit community teaching English to college hopefuls, I'd have taken you about as seriously as a very unserious thing that had just won the world unseriousness championships. However, life never pans out quite how you'd expect, and here I am and there I was.

To paraphrase Celine Dion the blog will go on - I think - so keep looking in, but this particular chapter has now reached its end. Thanks for sharing the journey with me; you've been great company.

Taima!

5 comments:

Anonymous

Well done mate

Its been a long haul but at last you can live the life you deserve in Canada
All the best to to you and Mel

Kevin

Anonymous

You are the Alistair Cooke of our time. Keep on bloggin! (Or resurrect that old Facebook avatar?)
PC

Little Messy Missy

Bye... I will miss your ramblings!

James

Gideon,

This isn't really a blog comment, but I thought you might enjoy.

A friend of mine has this posted as his Facebook status.

"I'm hung like a UK parliament."

James.

James

Gideon,

Remember when Nathaniel was asking us about the Americans stopping Canada from building airplanes? He was talking about the Avro Arrow. Canada once made a supersonic jet, and when we abandoned the program, the U.S. coerced the Canadian government into destroying the prototype and blueprints. I was watching TV and saw one of those stupid Heritage minutes and remembered our conversation.

Anyway, I hope all is well. If you want to about some ridiculous norhtern drama, don't be afraid to ask.

James.

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008