Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I don't like Mondays

Not that anyone should ever simply wish their time away, but it's already Thursday tomorrow, which means that we're only a couple of days away from the weekend. I've felt very tired this week so I'm looking forward to Friday evening, and I'm grateful for the fact that the Thanksgiving holiday on Monday made this a shorter work week.

Many of the staff at school have commented on how having the Monday off is psychologically far better than having a Friday off instead - although it must be said that either is better than neither - and my response to such comments has normally involved quoting a line or two from I Don't Like Mondays, such as "yeah, I don't like Mondays; I just want to shoot the whole day down."



Now, maybe it's an age thing again, maybe it's cultural, or maybe it's both, but such asides have universally flown straight over everyone's heads, probably leaving the other person thinking how strange that English guy is. I suppose that song is 30 years old now though, which is scary in itself ,and even scarier is the fact that this makes it almost as old, if not older, than many of the staff with whom I teach. Add into the mix that it was recorded by an Irish band that probably had very little impact on this side of the Atlantic, then I guess I'm probably deluding myself in thinking that anyone here is going to get the reference. Never mind; it keeps me happy.

Oh, and speaking of music, my 'song lyrics as poetry' project has been continuing apace, with outings today for Peter Gabriel and the Dave Matthews Band. Gabriel's Here Comes The Flood, always one of my favourite recordings, went down pretty well - the students were interested in the lyrics but were not 100% sold on the music - whilst DMB received a round of applause for Funny The Way It Is, which seemed to strike a chord both lyrically and musically. However, after two relatively contemporary, conventional tracks, I feel the need for something a little more esoteric next lesson.

I don't think I have the courage to play Ernie, but how about some John Cage...?

0 comments:

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008