Thursday, November 5, 2009

I (don't) come from a land down under

I don't know why, but ever since our move to Canada I regularly get mistaken for an Australian.

It happened again twice today; well, it was once really, because on the second occasion I was asked if I was from New Zealand, which if I actually had been Australian is probably worse than an Englishman being asked if he's really from Australia or a Canadian being confused with an American.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I really don't detect any similarity between my accent and those of our Antipodean cousins, and for a cricket-loving Englishman to be mistaken for an Australian is not exactly a complement (no offence Tarni and Dave, but who holds the Ashes at the moment?). Maybe the lack of exposure to shows like Neighbours and Home And Away means that your average Canadian can't quite distinguish the Australian the accent the way we Brits can, but one would have thought that the likes of Crocodiles Dundee and Hunter would have provided enough of a reference point.



If I ever end up moving to teach in a different Northern community I think I will put on my best Australian accent from the moment I get off the plane just to see what happens. Maybe then I'll be asked what part of England I'm from. Or not.

Pass the Vegemite.

2 comments:

Unknown

Have to say- this is a pretty regular occurrence for me too! I think it has something to do with the 'watering down' of the British accent and the influence of the Canadian... thus a combo accent- which is more Australian than English or Canadian.

Pass the Fosters mate- and throw another shrimp on the bar-b-! :)

Unknown

Easy to tell them apart because Australians wouldn't remember this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCkPzy02uY but Brits would

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008