Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A sad day

I heard some very sad news earlier this week. Last Sunday, a boy I used to teach in the UK, named Sam, collapsed and died during a soccer match in which he was playing. He was only 16. I received an email from a parent at the school to tell me the news, and I had to read it three or four times to take it in. Sam's father was watching his son play, as he always did, and another former pupil of mine was playing on the opposite team.

The term 'tragedy' is over-used in life, especially in sport, but I can't think of a better word to describe what happened here. Sam's family were the most friendly, caring and supportive people you could wish to meet, and his father was, and still is, someone for whom I have huge respect. He always came to support our school teams, whether his sons were playing or not, and he was always positive, never negative; "did you have fun?" was always his first question after each match.

I'm sure his boy was having fun last Sunday. He was such a committed, competitive and talented young man, and it is extraordinarily difficult to comprehend that he has gone. I would love to be back in England at this time so that I could pay my respects in person, and it's at times like this that I wonder what I'm actually doing in Canada, let alone the sub-Arctic. I've called this country 'home' for the last three and a bit years and I enjoy living and working here, but such tragedies bring into focus the very notion of 'home'. Where is it, precisely? Is it where the heart is? Or wherever you lay your hat? Or even on the range? I've done more travelling in the last five years than in the rest of my life put together, and I think my vision of home has become increasingly blurred during that time...

That's quite enough navel-gazing for now though. I have nothing but fond memories of Sam, and it is intolerably unfair that he has been taken from his family so suddenly and so unexpectedly. On tonight's CSI: NY, Detective Mac Taylor commented that we should make the most of the time that we spend with the ones we care about, and that rings especially true today. Godspeed to you, Sam.

4 comments:

Anonymous

Mr Eames

It seems inappropriate to leave a personal message via a comment box, but after trying for several minutes I failed to find your email address.

My name is Alex Long and I was one of your students around 5 years ago if you remember :) I am very jealous of your adventure to the north of Canada seeing as the pictures you have posted look amazing!

On Sunday the 16th of November one of my closest friends Sam Bradley died suddenly whilst playing football for the Winslow team, as i am sure you are aware. Since sam and I undertook the transition from primary to secondary school we became good friends and remained so for 5 years. When he passed away I had so many feelings going through me. Anger, guilt, grief etc.

On Thursday the 20th of November, the Bucksherald newspaper was read out during registration period in the morning by my form Tutor. It was an article that began with mistakes such as getting Sam's age wrong and getting factual details muddled up but became very helpful for me. At the end of it was a note posted in by one of his old teachers, yourself and I just wanted to say thank you for an amazing few words which helped me emotionally come to terms with Sams death.

Yours Sincerely

Alex Long

P.s The funeral is to be held on Friday 28th at noon.

Gideon

Alex, of course I remember you!

Like you, I was devastated to hear the news of Sam's passing, and I sincerely wish I could be back in England at this time.

My mind will certainly be with you all on Friday though, at what I'm sure will be a celebration of Sam's life.

I just watched the news report that was posted on Sam's facebook tribute page, and I'm not afraid to admit that I cried from start to finish. It was truly heartbreaking, but it is typical of Peter that he was able to go through with it and pay such a fitting tribute.

Thanks so much for writing, Alex; as I said, my thoughts are with you all at this time.

Gideon Eames

Anonymous

Gideon,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and words in the Bucks Herald, on Facebook and on your own Blog.

It is still hard to believe that we will never see Sam again. Having said that he is increasingly with us in heart and mind, still making us smile and even laugh.

Sam would have been fascinated to see the life you are currently leading. He always loved all things natural and the beauty of your environment would have staggered him. Sam wanted to study Marine Biology at university and go on to work with marine life (particularly dolphins).

Thankyou again for your thoughts and words.

Love,

Carol, Peter and Tom (currently studying Aeronautical Engineering at Loughboroug)

Anonymous

Hello Mr Eames

I was just reading Sams Farewell facebook page and i saw a comment from A Gideon Eames and i thought my old PE Teacher. Its feels warming to know that no matter how long ago and how far away the news travels to his old friends. When i saw your namei could not stop thinking about the amazing PE lessons we used to have with sam. All the sports teachers i have had over the years none have been as friendly and caring and funny as you.

I am so glad that i have found you but its shame its under these circumstances. I would love to speak to you or talk to you on the internet becuase you weren't just a good teacher you a good friend to me and my family.

My e-mail Address: davidbwest@aol.com

My msn Address: dbw_5@hotmail.com

Please get in touch i would love to have a catch up with you and talk aobut things.

Cheers David West

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008