Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bowled over

At my time of life, you are faced with a decision. Do you attempt to cling to your youth and try to remain at the cutting edge, or do you embrace your growing seniority and prepare for a more sedate future?

I faced that decision head on this week.

My answer?

I've taken up lawn bowls.

In all honesty, it's something I've fancied having a go at since my childhood, so maybe I've just been old from the word go. Ever since my grandad used to take me to Poole Park to watch the bowlers I've had something of a fascination with the game, and an open day at Kingston Lawn Bowls Club this Sunday gave me the chance to indulge myself.

The ad I heard on the radio proclaimed that there would be free pancakes and coffee (they had me at 'free') and this, coupled with the fact that I was referred to as 'youngster' for most of the day, made it a winning experience from the start.



I had a splendid day in the company of Cliff, Ruby, Loretta, Bill, Walter and all the others and, if I say so myself, I'm actually a bit of a natural at the game. My very first bowl curved sedately in from the right and came to rest nestling adjacent to the jack, and although I wasn't able to repeat such success with every bowl thereafter, I did well enough to warrant another visit to the club on Monday when I continued my education on the green.

I think I'm going to keep playing as the summer progresses, and although it's perfectly fine to borrow a set of bowls each time I play, I might have to think of investing in my own if I get really serious. They can cost anything from $250 upwards but, with a comment that was as encouraging as it was sadly realistic, one of the members told me that second hand sets come up on the market quite regularly over the course of a year.

I shall keep you informed as to my progress as the summer moves on, but I have to go now as the nice young man from Meals On Wheels is at the door. Cheery-bye!

0 comments:

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008