Saturday, December 19, 2009

Almost home

I'm writing this courtesy of the wi-fi service at the Via Rail station in Montreal, which means that I'm almost, repeat almost, home. After a hugely frustrating 48 hours I'm not counting any chickens though.



I managed to get to Kuujjuaq yesterday where, as I mentioned before, I was on standby for Montreal. Happily First Air got me on board the Montreal flight, but after two hours waiting on the tarmac, those of us who had been on standby were asked to raise their hands. Oh dear...this didn't look good.

And indeed it wasn't. The flight was going to stop in Iqaluit first - check your atlas to see how little sense this route makes - where we would take on more passengers, and there was a chance that the 'standbyers' would be asked to leave the plane and be forced to remain in Iqaluit. When I asked what was meant by a 'chance' I couldn't be given a precise answer, which was a little worrying given that planes have a finite number of seats so, given that the next flight out of Iqaluit was not until Monday, I decided to get off.

After a night in the Co-op hotel in Kuujjuaq and a further six hours waiting at the airport I finally got my flight, and here I am, waiting for my train. I shall be so glad to get home and get clean - I've travelled light on this trip so no changes of clothes - but I shall also be sparing a thought for my teaching friends and colleagues back up in Kangiqsujuaq, who were unable to leave today because of the weather. I have every sympathy and I know how they feel, and I can only hope that they will make it back in time for Christmas.

As for me, the holiday now begins, and for once I think I've earned it. Tims here I come...

2 comments:

Anonymous

HI Gideon, Glad to see that you made it HOME!!
Roland sending you message that there were 3 seats empty on flight Iqaluit to Montreal.... and also the guy he wanted you to contact was Sandy Clunas in Kuujjuaq... not Santa Claus!
very funny now, but maybe not then
Hannah and Roland

Sarah

The excitement of Northern travel!
You never know when you’ll get anywhere....But you are lucky to get out when you did.
We are also getting to the dentist this week and hoping the weather is clear over the weekend for our flight back.
Happy travels.
Sarah

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008