Friday, January 8, 2010

The last farewell?

Well, I endured my trip to the dentists with manful dignity, and compared to last year's marathon it was actually a breeze. I was only in the chair for ninety minutes this time round and, courtesy of the TV precariously bolted to the wall, I had the Weather Channel for company as the dentist and his assistant attacked my mouth with gay abandon. Many of the reports came from the UK, where temperatures have been rivalling ours of late, and whilst I have somewhat ridiculed the mother country's inability to deal with the cold in the past, I must admit that this year Britain's winter really has been one for the ages. This recent satellite picture looks like it could have been generated for a scene in The Day After Tomorrow, but I assure you it's for real:



On Monday I will be experiencing English-like temperatures as I head back North, but if Melanie can find me a job at King's Town School next year this could be the last time I make the trip. I enjoy what I do in Nunavik but it doesn't get any easier leaving Melanie behind each time I go back, and I really don't know if I could manage another year after this one. We don't own the future though, only the now, so for the time being I shall simply pack my bags and do what has to be done. Next stop: Kangiqsujuaq.

1 comments:

Anonymous

Have a good term!

Don't believe all you hear on the media. The UK has not ground to a standstill. MKPS has been open every day with only a couple of staff not managing to get in. Your mention of the Day After Tomorrow is a bit scary though, reminding us that it is based on a scientifically based hypothesis that global warming causes the reversal of the Gulf stream, giving us an Alaskan climate. Ironically the UK will not get warmer through global warming but colder! PC

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008