Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Blowing hot and cold

What a world of contrasts we live in. It was -32°C here today (-46 with windchill), and I honestly thought that my eyeballs were going to freeze on the way to work this morning. However, both I and my eyes survived, and as I write I'm watching play from the Australian Open tennis in Melbourne (on TV: my eyes, frozen or not, aren't that good), where the on-court temperature is a staggering 61°C (that's over 140°F). Novak Djokovic has just been receiving treatment for heat exhaustion, and has been seeking solace from an ice-pack version of one of those sausage things you that you wear around your neck on the plane.

So, allowing for windchill and 'heatchill' (just what is the equivalent word for an out-of-the-shade temperature?), that's a difference of over 100° (and 16000km) between Inukjuak and Melbourne! I don't think the players would be any better off playing up here though. Holding the raquet would be very difficult in oversize sealskin mittens, and certain parts of the body do tend to shrivel up somewhat in such extreme cold...

"...new balls, please."

0 comments:

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008