Friday, January 23, 2009

Hockey heretic

I have no respect for hockey.

There, I've come out and said it. I know that such a statement is likely to be seen as heresy in Canada, and akin to me writing about democracy in China, but I can contain myself no longer.

Now, I realise that when you choose to live in another country you should make every effort to integrate with the culture and live by the norms and values that exist there. I think I've managed to do this by and large: I eat poutine, I have more Canadian Tire money than real money, Tim Horton's is my second home (at least when I'm in the South) and I've even been known to say the odd 'eh.' However, when it comes to hockey, I simply can't do it. I can admire the skill on the ice, I can identify with the passion shown by the fans off the ice, but there is one thing I can't get my head round.

The fighting.

I simply cannot respect a sport that condones fighting to the extent that hockey does. In a game in the AHL today (for the uninitiated, that's the American Hockey League, the primary 'feeder' league for the NHL), a fight broke out seconds after the start of the game, the result of which left Garrett Klotz, a player for the Philadelphia Phantoms, writhing and convulsing violently on the ice, courtesy of the Manchester Monarchs' Kevin Westgarth. He was rushed to hospital from where, thankfully, the early reports on his health seem to be positive.



For those of you unfamiliar with the game, when a fight breaks out the referees allow it to continue and only step in when one or both players finally hit the ice. The arguments given in defence of fighting include lines like "it's a physical sport," "it's a man's game," "it's part of the action," or "the players have to let off steam." I've even heard the comment "it wouldn't be the same game without the fighting."

Pathetic.

Look at rugby. There are few more physical sports on this planet, but fighting is not considered 'part of the game.' Indeed, if any combatants do emerge, intervention is immediate and bans are swift and suitably lengthy. The attraction of the game is not diluted as a result. Other than a few minutes in the penalty box, I am not sure what the repercussions (if any) are for fighting in hockey - I'm sure someone reading this will let me know - and you even get idiots like Don Cherry extolling the fighting skills of various players in his match summaries on TV.

To be fair, there are many Canadians who share my view on this subject, but there are just as many, if not more, who will disagree; just look at the comments registered on the TSN website regarding the Garrett v Westgarth fight. So, what will it take for sense to prevail? I fear that someone is going to have to be killed for action to be taken, and even then I am not so sure. I sincerely hope that this will not be the case, but until action is taken, I cannot embrace hockey.

I am now ready for deportation.

0 comments:

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008