Saturday, September 5, 2009

Mussel man

At the end of our ped day yesterday a few of us went mussel picking, another activity I can now add to my list of firsts; I went picking for cockles in Dorset when I was young but never, I think, for mussels. I returned with a modest haul, which I'll attempt to cook today, but in the winter the harvest is likely to be more plentiful, although the activity then becomes far more interesting.



Once the bay is entirely frozen, it is possible to venture below the ice when the tide is out and retrieve a veritable bounty of mussels before the waters come back in once more. Such a method of mussel picking is unique to Kangiqsujuaq, and you can read more about it here. I have a few months to ponder whether I will take up the opportunity to join the winter mussel harvest, and if I've been able to take out some appropriate life insurance by then I think I'll have a go. For now though, I shall confine my adventures to the kitchen, and I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow!


0 comments:

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008