Monday, April 5, 2010

Deliverance

After another round of fruitless phone calls to the Water Plant this morning, I packed up all my dirty washing (as opposed to my clean washing) and my shower kit and headed off once again to the residence. The weather was very clear today so at least there was no blizzard to struggle through, and after a couple of hours of washing both myself and my clothes I made my way back home, ever in hope that one of the water trucks might have brought deliverance whilst I was out.

And, lo and behold, as I rounded the corner towards my house, what did I see coming up the road towards me? The truck hadn't got as far as my house yet, so I took it upon myself to make a final stand. I determined in my mind that I would stand in the road, much like a cross between Gandalf and the Chinese student who stood in front of the tank in Tiananmen Square, and I would not let the truck go by without it first stopping to fill up my water tank.

YOU...SHALL...NOT...PASS!



Whether as a result of my bravery or just because it was going to do so anyway, the truck dutifully stopped outside my house just as I made it down the slope that leads to my front door, and in a mixture of elation and trepidation - they had quite literally made a dry run yesterday, remember - I watched as the hose was attached to my water outlet. The water began pumping, and I dashed inside to check the supply before they left.

After an initial brown surge the water began flowing clearly once again, and my three day drought was finally over. It was all in the nick of time too, because James and Sophie, along with Noah and Evie (and Igakk the dog) arrived a couple of hours later, and as my house and theirs share a common water tank, it was not a moment too soon. All is now back to normal, and I have celebrated by baking up a storm in the kitchen (results tomorrow), and washing up without having to leave the house. Oh happy day.

5 comments:

Anonymous

Happy Easter! Glad to hear that you are all tanked up again.
Just a couple of questions: How do they stop the water freezing in the tanker? and, perhaps I have been watching to much Ray Mears, but why couldn't you have melted some snow? PC

Gideon

Two very good questions. Regarding water (not) freezing in the tank - I guess that's both the truck's and my house's tank - I've never really thought about it! (much like glue not sticking to the inside of the tube). I shall find out and report back.

And as for melting snow, had the whole town been out of water then that would have been an option, but thankfully the student residence building proved to be my saviour. Told you I wouldn't have made a good historical Inuk!

I miss Ray Mears. His shows don't get broadcast over here, but Bear Grylls is on all the time. I like Bear Grylls, but he doesn't have the 'kindly uncle' persona of Ray Mears; he's more of a boisterous cousin.

Vikki

I have often shared stories of the water truck and poop truck with a whipser of nostalgia in my voice. But having read this, I am brought back strongly to how horrible it was having the water shut off with a head full of shampoo or having the red light come on during a Saturday night party with no trucks 'til Monday. Nope - cancel the nostalgia. I love underground pipes!

James

I really hope that truck didn't fill up our water tank, Gideon.

James

Regarding the freezing in the truck bit, there just isn't enough time to freeze that much water, and I think they park the trucks inside overnight.

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008