Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Two weeks notice

It's official; I'm leaving the North.

I have my ticket, and in two weeks' time I will be back home in the south.

Permanently.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, this moment has been coming for a while now, but yesterday I finally confirmed my intentions with the powers that be and today I received my travel itinerary. Most things happen very slowly in the North, but in my life events are now moving on apace. The number of teaching days that remain are in single digits - so even I can count them on my fingers - and just two weekends sit between me and my final flight.

I know I'm going to be feeling some mixed emotions over the coming days - in fact I'm already feeling them - but I'm glad to have finally made an irrevocable decision and I know in my heart that it's the right one. I've said before in these pages that my time in the North has changed my outlook on life, and whilst I really do believe that my experience has been largely positive, I also feel that the misanthrope inside me is edging ever nearer the surface, especially this year, and that can't be a good thing.

Consequently, my repatriation to the south, and to Melanie in particular, is coming just at the right time I think, and as much as I'm going to be looking back over the next few weeks, now is really a time to be looking forward. There will be many changes ahead and all the routines I've established will need to be broken, but it's all for the greater good.

The countdown has begun...

3 comments:

James

You really must... MUST find something to write about in Sydenham. MUST! How do I make a bigger font in these comments? Imagine a scream: MUST!!! Ah, where's the bold or italics or something? Come on blogger, let me have my emphasis. AARRGHHH!

Gideon

As long as you promise to keep being my window on the North (and then south, east or west, depending on where your travels take you!). And hey, look...bold italics!

Unknown

looking forward to your return! A new home awaits- lot and lots to keep you busy for the summer :)

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008