Friday, April 17, 2009

Boyle-ing point

If you typed the name Susan Boyle into Google this time last week you probably wouldn't have had many hits; do it now and you get 2,750,000, a figure that, by the time you actually read this, will probably be higher still. It's also only just less than the number returned by typing in Simon Cowell, which is ironic in a way seeing as he is one of the judges on the show Britain's Got Talent, which is where Susan has made her name.

I'm not going to go on too much about her story - if you haven't already heard about her you can just watch the video clip on YouTube - but what seems more remarkable than her actual performance is the way in which her story has travelled around the world. Internet and reality show phenomena are ten-a-penny nowadays, and most fall by the wayside as quickly as they rose - where are you now, Tay Zonday - but Ms Boyle's performance seems to have gripped the world's imagination like few others. She has even been offered the ultimate accolade of a seat on Oprah's sofa; for the sofa's sake, I just hope that she and Oprah don't both choose to sit on it at the same time.

Whether Susan Boyle's fame will be permanent or fleeting only time will tell. I plump for the latter, but at least for the moment her 15 minutes don't look like running out any time soon. Indeed, since I started typing, she now has over 3,000,000 returns on Google and has overtaken Simon Cowell. Which leads me to my final observation of the day. Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but think that there's more than a passing resemblance between Susan and Simon....



Take away a couple of chins, give her a short back and Cowell.....it's just me, isn't it?

0 comments:

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008