Thursday, April 16, 2009

When the dogs have hit their stride

Whilst I was on my Easter break, the Ivakkak finished in Ivujivik, the northernmost community in Nunavik. My pre-race pick, the team of Willie Cain Jr. & Joseph Cain, came home a creditable second, whilst the crown of Ivakkak champions went to the mononamic Novalinga Novalinga and his partner, Aibilie Moses.



Depending on your source, the word Ivakkak can mean either 'running at a comfortable speed' or 'when the dogs are at their best pace', but the definition I prefer is 'when the dogs have hit their stride.' As I have said before, it was a privilege to have been able to witness the start of the race, especially when one considers its historical and cultural significance, and seeing the dogs hit their stride that day is one of the fondest memories of my time in the North.

So, hats (or tuques) off to all those who competed, and given that the Ivakkak is now a biennial event, here's to 2011.

0 comments:

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008