Monday, June 1, 2009

Growing old gracefully

I really am becoming old.

It was my birthday yesterday, and the day before I went to the shops with the intention of buying myself a modest present. What did I get?

A vacuum cleaner and a frying pan.

Look, I really needed both items, alright? The vacuum cleaner we have here at the apartment is broken and the one frying pan we own is still with all my belongings up in Inukjuak. I tried to cook French toast in a saucepan last week and thought 'enough's enough.'

Needless to say, I still haven't used either item yet.

Then, just to confirm the age thing, I took myself on a nice Sunday drive yesterday, during which time I became one of those old folk that hold you up when you've got far more important places to be. Whilst on the road I decided to search for a Tim Horton's that I hadn't visited before, and my quest eventually took me to the town of Perth where I enjoyed a very pleasant, and educational, couple of hours.

Whilst there, I discovered the site of the last ever fatal duel in Ontario...



...and I also discovered one of the biggest cheeses in the province.



Now, whether Perth ever witnessed any cheese-based duels is not on record, but if there ever were any, my money would have been on the Brie. I rounded off my day with a visit to the Cineplex to see Angels & Demons - the movie, not actual angels and demons - and after such an action packed start to the week, I really don't know where to go from here.

Perhaps I could unbox the vacuum?

Nah.

1 comments:

Unknown

"I grow old, I grow old, shall I wear my trousers rolled? "

I'm going to call you J.Alfred Prufrock from now on!

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008