Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Powering down

We had a power cut yesterday - only the second since I've been in Kangiqsujuaq, which isn't bad going as we had them all the time in Inukjuak - but unlike the one we had back in October this one was at night and lasted a fair bit longer. The power went down right at the end of House and I also missed the whole of 24, which was most annoying. I've been recording 24 with the intention of viewing all the episodes en bloc at some future time, but I guess that plan's now scuppered.

It was during this period of total darkness that I realised I don't have a torch - I still find it hard to call torches 'flashlights' - or any candles up here, but thankfully I downloaded the flashlight app for my iPod a little while ago (hey, I said 'flashlight') so I was able to patrol the house whilst listening to music that was guaranteed to be correctly filed and sorted. About an hour later the power came back on, but within ten minutes it went off again, only to come back on after a couple of minutes, after which time it failed again....



After about an hour of this the power finally stopped coming back on, but by this time I had already got fed up and gone to bed. I found it hard to sleep though as I was very aware that my alarm clock probably wouldn't go off in the morning, and this was a situation that I found unduly stressful for some reason (oh for the days of huge wind-up alarm clocks, now only seen in old cartoons or dangling from Flavor Flav's neck). A few hours of spasmodic sleep followed, and it was 3am when I finally became aware that the power was back on; the clock was duly reset, and I am happy to report that I managed to make it to work on time this morning.

Considering the fact that I spent the previous post relaying my tales of boredom, I suppose one could say that at least this week has started with a bit of excitement, but when the only excitement here is an event that stops you watching TV and makes you go to bed early....

M'lud, I rest my case.

4 comments:

Unknown

Here is what you need to know... Jack is asked to do a job he doesnt want to do, then he goes 'off reservation' and his employers regret their decision. Jack does dark things, that only Jack can do... Someone in CTU is a traitor, Jack saves the day by catching the traitor, but suffers a personal loss, thus making him even more likely to kick butt in the next season!

I just saved you 24 hours :) Is there an App for that?

Little Messy Missy

Grocery list:
Candles & Matches
Touch (Flashlight & Batteries)
Riveting Book
Wind Up Clock

Your set!

Anonymous

Alarm clock for your Ipod Touch? There's an App for that! PC

Gideon

There is indeed...but my ipod ran out of charge.

D'oh!

Blogger template 'SebiruDaun' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008